- •Almost half of all heart failure patients are considered frail.
- •Prevalence of frailty in heart failure was not related to age or functional class.
- •There is significant heterogeneity in the measurement of frailty in heart failure.
- •Future work should focus on standardizing a measure of frailty in heart failure.
- •There is a need to broaden our view of frailty beyond a strictly geriatric syndrome in heart failure.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Osteoporosis and congestive heart failure (CHF) in the elderly patient: double disease burden.Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 2009; 49: 250-254
- A random-effects regression model for meta-analysis.Stat. Med. 1995; 14: 395-411
- Individual patient- versus group-level data meta-regressions for the investigation of treatment effect modifiers: ecological bias rears its ugly head.Stat. Med. 2002; 21: 371-387
- The association between vitamin D and inflammation with the 6-minute walk and frailty in patients with heart failure.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2008; 56: 454-461
- Frailty and prognosis in advanced heart failure.Curr. Opin. Support. Palliat. Care. 2014; 8: 25-29
- Frailty predicts long-term mortality in elderly subjects with chronic heart failure.Eur. J. Clin. Investig. 2005; 35: 723-730
- Risk factors for hospital admission among older persons with newly diagnosed heart failure: findings from the Cardiovascular Health Study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 61: 635-642
- Lower extremity performance measures predict long-term prognosis in older patients hospitalized for heart failure.J. Card. Fail. 2010; 16: 390-395
- Reduced handgrip strength as a marker of frailty predicts clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure undergoing ventricular assist device placement.J. Card. Fail. 2014; 20: 310-315
- Frailty in elderly people.Lancet. 2013; 381: 752-762
- Geriatric conditions in heart failure.Curr. Cardiovasc. Risk Rep. 2012; 6: 404-410
- The impact of frailty in older patients with non-ischaemic cardiomyopathy after implantation of cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillator.Europace. 2015; 17: 598-602
- Frailty and outcomes after implantation of left ventricular assist device as destination therapy.J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2014; 33: 359-365
- Factors associated with 7-day rehospitalization after heart failure admission.J. Cardiovasc. Nurs. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1097/JCN/0000000000000347
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Advanced (stage D) heart failure: a statement from the Heart Failure Society of America Guidelines Committee.J. Card. Fail. 2015; 21: 519-534
- Frailty and the selection of patients for destination therapy left ventricular assist device.Circulation. 2012; 5: 286-293
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Fragility is a key determinant of survival in heart failure patients.Int. J. Cardiol. 2014; 175: 62-66
- The Tilburg Frailty Indicator: psychometric properties.J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc. 2010; 11: 344-355
- Frailty in advanced heart failure: a consequence of aging or a separate entity?.Clin. Med. Insights Cardiol. 2015; 9: 39-46
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J. Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- Fixed- and random-effects models in meta-analysis.Psychol. Methods. 1998; 3: 486-504
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Frailty in advanced heart failure: a systematic review.Heart Fail. Rev. 2015; 20: 553-560
- Cognitive impairment improves the predictive validity of physical frailty for mortality in patients with advanced heart failure referred for heart transplantation.J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016; 35: 1092-1100
- Grip strength assessment and early outcomes in hospitalized acute decompensated heart failure: a prospective study.J. Card. Fail. 2015; 21: S117
- Heart failure management in skilled nursing facilities: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the Heart Failure Society of America.Circulation. 2015; 8: 655-687
- Frailty is associated with longer hospital stay and increased mortality in hospitalized older patients.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2012; 16: 732-735
- Improved tests for a random effects meta-regression with a single covariate.Stat. Med. 2003; 22: 2693-2710
- Frailty assessment in advanced heart failure.J. Card. Fail. 2016; 22: 840-844
- Frailty and healthcare utilization among patients with heart failure in the community.JACC Heart Fail. 2013; 1: 135-141
- The 2016 International Society for Heart Lung Transplantation listing criteria for heart transplantation: a 10-year update.J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016; 35: 1-23
- Accumulation of deficits as a proxy measure of aging.Sci. World J. 2001; 1: 323-336
- Frailty syndrome in heart failure patients who are receiving cardiac resynchronization.Pacing Clin. Electrophysiol. 2016; 39: 370-374
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Ann. Intern. Med. 2009; 151: 264-269
- Associations of subclinical cardiovascular disease with frailty.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2001; 56: M158-M166
- Acute heart failure admissions in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory: the NSW HF Snapshot Study.Med. J. Aust. 2016; 204 (e1–8): 113
- Metaprop: a Stata command to perform meta-analysis of binomial data.Arch. Public Health. 2014; 72: 1-10
- Multidimensional Prognostic Index based on a comprehensive geriatric assessment predicts short-term mortality in older patients with heart failure.Circ. Heart Fail. 2010; 3: 14-20
- Usefulness of frailty profile for targeting older heart failure patients in disease management programs: a cost-effectiveness, pilot study.J. Cardiovasc. Med. (Hagerstown). 2010; 11: 739-747
- Incremental value of gait speed in predicting prognosis of older adults with heart failure: insights from the IMAGE-HF study.JACC Heart Fail. 2016; 4: 289-298
- Comparison of frequency of frailty and severely impaired physical function in patients >/=60 years hospitalized with acute decompensated heart failure versus chronic stable heart failure with reduced and preserved left ventricular ejection fraction.Am. J. Cardiol. 2016; 117: 1953-1958
- Prevalence of geriatric syndromes and impact on clinical and functional outcomes in older patients with acute cardiac diseases.Heart. 2011; 97: 1602-1606
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- How should meta-regression analyses be undertaken and interpreted?.Stat. Med. 2002; 21: 1559-1573
- The relationship between frailty, anxiety and depression, and health-related quality of life in elderly patients with heart failure.Clin. Interv. Aging. 2015; 10: 1595-1600
- Prevalence and prognostic impact of frailty and its components in non-dependent elderly patients with heart failure.Eur. J. Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 869-875
- Aging, telomeres and heart failure.Heart Fail. Rev. 2010; 15: 479-486
- Frailty: emergence and consequences in women aged 65 and older in the Women's Health Initiative observational study.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2005; 53: 1321-1330
☆All authors take responsibility for all aspects of the reliability and freedom from bias of the data presented and their discussed interpretation.
☆☆Funding acknowledgements: This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health /National Institute of Nursing Research (NIH/NINR) Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award ( 1F31NR015936-01 ; Denfeld), the National Hartford Centers of Gerontological Nursing Excellence (NHCGNE) Patricia G. Archbold Scholar Program (Denfeld) and an ARCS Scholar Award (Denfeld). Current post-doctoral funding for Quin Denfeld was provided by NIH/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NIH/NHLBI) at Oregon Health & Science University Knight Cardiovascular Institute (2T32HL094294; Thornburg). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH/NINR, NIH/NHLBI, or the NHCGNE.