Atherosclerosis is an inflammatory disease [
]. Key evidence of this is the initial influx of monocytes and T-lymphocytes into the vessel wall in response to injury to the endothelium. Mediators of this migration are probably crucial in plaque development, but remain largely undefined. Potential offenders include, however, chemokines — a superfamily group of chemotactic cytokines. In this issue, Economou et al. highlight the potential atherogenic role of one of these substances — monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 (MCP-1).
- Ross R.
Atherosclerosis — an inflammatory disease.
N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 115-126
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Atherosclerosis — an inflammatory disease.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 115-126
- Chemokines — chemotactic cytokines that mediate inflammation.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 436-445
- Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in human atheromatous plaques.J Clin Invest. 1991; 88: 1121-1127
- Elevated expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 by vascular smooth muscle cells in hypercholesterolemic primates.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1992; 89: 6953-6957
- Chemokines and atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 1999; 147: 213-225
- Absence of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 reduces atherosclerosis in low density lipoprotein receptor-deficient mice.Mol Cell. 1998; 2: 275-281
- Decreased lesion formation in CCR2−/− mice reveals a role for chemokines in the initiation of atherosclerosis.Nature. 1998; 394: 894-897
- Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 gene expression in injured pig artery coincides with early appearance of infiltrating monocyte/macrophages.J Cell Biochem. 1996; 62: 303-313
- Increased plasma antigen levels of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in patients with restenosis after percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty.Jpn Circ J. 2000; 64: 831-834
- Monocyte chemotactic protein 1 (MCP-1) is a mitogen for cultured rat vascular smooth muscle cells.J Vasc Res. 1997; 34: 58-65
- Monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 inhibits growth of rat vascular smooth muscle cells.Am J Physiol. 1995; 268: H1021-H1026
- Expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 cDNA in vascular smooth muscle cells: induction of the synthetic phenotype: a possible clue to SMC differentiation in the process of atherogenesis.Atherosclerosis. 1999; 144: 15-23
- Increase in circulating levels of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 with aging.J Interferon Cytokine Res. 1999; 19: 1179-1182
- Overexpression of eotaxin and the CCR3 receptor in human atherosclerosis: using genomic technology to identify a potential novel pathway of vascular inflammation.Circulation. 2000; 102: 2185-2189
☆This is an Editorial comment to a paper published as Int. J. Cardiol. 2001;80:55.
© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.