- Dries D.L.
- Exner D.V.
- Gersh B.J.
- Domanski M.J.
- Waclawiw M.A.
- Stevenson L.W.
- Sekikawa A.
- Satoh T.
- Hayakawa T.
- Ueshima H.
- Kuller L.H.
2. Subjects and methods
2.1 Statistical analyses
3.1 Age- and gender-specific prevalence rate of AF
|Number of examinees||Number of subjects with AF|
|40–49||88,156||80,432||211 (0.24%)||30 (0.04%)|
|50–59||96,901||97,070||760 (0.78%)||112 (0.12%)|
|60–69||57,998||86,156||1,126 (1.94%)||360 (0.42%)|
|70–79||41,770||58,296||1,436 (3.44%)||653 (1.12%)|
|80–||10,427||12,932||462 (4.43%)||283 (2.19%)|
|All ages||295,252||334,886||3,995 (1.35%)||1,438 (0.43%)|
3.2 Clinical characteristics of subjects with AF
|AF (+)||AF (−)||AF (+)||AF (−)|
|Diabetes mellitus (%)||19.9||12.6*||10.4||5.0**|
|Cardiac diseases (%)||59.1||4.6*||54.8||4.4*|
|Current smoker (%)||27.2||43.5*||2.1||5.2|
|Current drinker (%)||76.5||70.5**||15.1||22.6|
3.3 Estimated number of people with AF
|Year||Total population||People having AF||Overall prevalence (%)|
4.1 Major findings
4.2 Comparison with data of previous studies
|Wolf et al. |
|Majeed et al. |
|Go et al. |
|Ohsawa et al. |
|Age (years)||N=5070||N=1.4 million||N=1.89 million||N=23,713||N=630,138|
4.3 Clinical characteristics of subjects with AF
- Hurley V.
- Ireson R.
- Fletcher K.
- Lip G.Y.P.
- Hobbs F.D.R.
A cross-sectional study of hypertension in an elderly population (75 years and over) with atrial fibrillation: secondary analysis of data from the Birmingham Atrial Fibrillation in the Aged (BAFTA) randomised controlled trial.
- Sekikawa A.
- Satoh T.
- Hayakawa T.
- Ueshima H.
- Kuller L.H.
4.4 Methodological considerations
- Prevalence, incidence, prognosis, and predisposing conditions for atrial fibrillation: population-based estimates.Am J Cardiol. 1998; 82: 2N-9N
- Epidemiologic features of chronic atrial fibrillation: the Framingham Study.N Engl J Med. 1982; 306: 1018-1022
- The natural history of atrial fibrillation: incidence, risk factors, and prognosis in the Manitoba follow-up study.Am J Med. 1995; 98: 476-484
- Atrial fibrillation is associated with an increased risk for mortality and heart failure progression in patients with asymptomatic and symptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction: a retrospective analysis of the SOLVD trials.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998; 32: 695-703
- A population-based study of mortality among patients with atrial fibrillation or flutter.Am J Med. 2002; 113: 365-370
- Atrial fibrillation as an independent risk factor for stroke: the Framingham Study.Stroke. 1991; 22: 983-988
- Prevalence of atrial fibrillation in elderly subjects (the Cardiovascular Health Study).Am J Cardiol. 1994; 74: 236-241
- Prevalence, age distribution, and gender of patients with atrial fibrillation.Arch Intern Med. 1995; 155: 469-473
- Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults. National implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) Study.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2370-2375
- Trends in the prevalence and management of atrial fibrillation in general practice in England and Wales, 1994–1998: analysis of data from the general practice research database.Heart. 2001; 86: 284-288
- Independent risk factors for atrial fibrillation in a population-based cohort. The Framingham Heart Study.JAMA. 1994; 271: 840-844
- Long-term alcohol consumption and the risk of atrial fibrillation in the Framingham study.Am J Cardiol. 2004; 93: 710-713
- Trends in the incidence, mortality, and survival rate of cardiovascular disease in a Japanese community. The Hisayama Study.Stroke. 2003; 34: 2349-2354
- Different effects of blood pressure on mortality from stroke subtypes depending on BMI levels: a 19-year cohort study in the Japanese general population — NIPPON DATA80.J Hum Hypertens. 2005; 19: 285-291
- Hypertension prevalence and blood pressure levels in 6 European countries, Canada, and the United States.JAMA. 2003; 289: 2363-2369
- Trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in the United States, 1988–2000.JAMA. 2003; 290: 199-206
- Coronary heart disease mortality among men aged 35–44 years by prefecture in Japan in 1995–1999 compared with that among white men aged 35–44 by State in the United States in 1995–1998. Vital statistics data in recent birth cohorts.Jpn Circ J. 2001; 65: 887-892
- Effects of eicosapentaenoic acid on major coronary events in hypercholesterolaemic patients (JELIS): a randomised open-label, blinded endpoint analysis.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1090-1098
- Dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E after myocardial infarction: results of the GISSI-Prevenzione trial.Lancet. 1999; 354: 447-455
- A 15.5-year follow-up study of stroke in a Japanese provincial city. The Shibata Study.Stroke. 1997; 28: 45-52
- Secular trends in prevalence and incidence of atrial fibrillation and associated factors in a Japanese rural population.Jpn J Public Health. 1991; 38 (Japanese with English abstract): 98-105
- Rapid increase in estimated number of persons with atrial fibrillation in Japan: an analysis from national surveys on cardiovascular diseases in 1980,1990 and 2000.J Epidemiol. 2005; 15: 194-196
- Japanese Registry of Residents in 2005. The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Japan. Statistics Bureau.(in Japanese)
- Population Projection for Japan. National Institute of Population and Social Security Research, Japan.(in Japanese)
- Prevalence of palpitations, cardiac arrhythmias and their associated risk factors in ambulant elderly.Int J Cardiol. 1996; 54: 231-236
- Secular trends in incidence of atrial fibrillation in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1980 to 2000, and implications on the projections for future prevalence..Circulation. 2006; 114: 119-125
- A cross-sectional study of hypertension in an elderly population (75 years and over) with atrial fibrillation: secondary analysis of data from the Birmingham Atrial Fibrillation in the Aged (BAFTA) randomised controlled trial.Int J Cardiol. 2007; 117: 152-156
- Mortality risk attributable to atrial fibrillation in middle-aged and elderly people in the Japanese general population — nineteen-year follow-up in NIPPON DATA80 -.Circ J. 2007; 71: 814-819
- Coronary heart disease and atrial fibrillation: the Framingham Study.Am Heart J. 1983; 106: 389-396
- Prevalence and clinical characteristics of patients with atrial fibrillation. Analysis of 20,000 cases in Japan.Jpn Circ J. 2000; 64: 653-659
- Baseline characteristics of patients with atrial fibrillation: the AFFIRM Study.Am Heart J. 2002; 143: 991-1001
- Diabetes mellitus and atrial fibrillation: perspectives on epidemiological and pathophysiological links.Int J Cardiol. 2005; 105: 319-321
- The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Japan. Statistical database.(in Japanese)
- Seasonal variation in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation documented by 24-hour Holter electrocardiogram.Heart Rhythm. 2007; 4: 27-31
- Ethical authorship and publishing.Int J Cardiol. 2009; 131: 149-150