Tako-Tsubo cardiomyopathy (TCM) or “apical ballooning syndrome” is characterized by transient left ventricular apical wall motion abnormalities with chest symptoms, electrocardiographic changes and minimal cardiac enzyme release in the absence of coronary artery disease [
]. Despite its increasing interest, the underlying physiopathological mechanisms remain unclear. Abnormal catecholamine dynamics related to physical or emotional distress seems to play a major role in the pathogenesis of this cardiomyopathy inducing acute myocardial stunning, with a predilection for the cardiac apex [
- Kurisu S.
- Sato H.
- Kawagoe T.
- et al.
Tako-tsubo-like left ventricular dysfunction with ST-segment elevation: a novel cardiac syndrome mimicking acute myocardial infarction.
Am Heart J. Mar 2002; 143: 448-455
]. The most commonly presented clinical symptoms were chest pain and dyspnea but various manifestations of TCM can be observed [
- Akashi Y.J.
- Goldstein D.S.
- Barbaro G.
- Ueyama T.
Takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a new form of acute, reversible heart failure.
Circulation. Dec 16 2008; 118: 2754-2762
- Yoshida T.
- Hibino T.
- Fujimaki T.
- et al.
Transient mid-ventricular ballooning syndrome complicated by syncope: a variant of tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy.
Int J Cardiol. Jun 12 2009; 135: e20-e23
4]. Arrhythmias have been described as an unusual complication of TCM, including ventricular arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, torsade de pointe and conduction tissue dysfunction [
- Bonello L.
- Com O.
- Ait-Moktar O.
- et al.
Ventricular arrhythmias during Tako-tsubo syndrome.
Int J Cardiol. Aug 18 2008; 128: e50-e53
]. The management of high-degree AV block during early presentation of TCM remains difficult.
- Syed F.F.
- Asirvatham S.J.
- Francis J.
Arrhythmia occurrence with takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a literature review.
Eur Eur Pacing Arrhythm Card Electrophysiol J Work Groups Card Pacing Arrhythm Card Cell Electrophysiol Eur Soc Cardiol. Jun 2011; 13: 780-788
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tako-tsubo-like left ventricular dysfunction with ST-segment elevation: a novel cardiac syndrome mimicking acute myocardial infarction.Am Heart J. Mar 2002; 143: 448-455
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a new form of acute, reversible heart failure.Circulation. Dec 16 2008; 118: 2754-2762
- Transient mid-ventricular ballooning syndrome complicated by syncope: a variant of tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy.Int J Cardiol. Jun 12 2009; 135: e20-e23
- Ventricular arrhythmias during Tako-tsubo syndrome.Int J Cardiol. Aug 18 2008; 128: e50-e53
- Arrhythmia occurrence with takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a literature review.Eur Eur Pacing Arrhythm Card Electrophysiol J Work Groups Card Pacing Arrhythm Card Cell Electrophysiol Eur Soc Cardiol. Jun 2011; 13: 780-788
- Temporary third-degree atrioventricular block in a case of apical ballooning syndrome.Int J Cardiol. Nov 2006; 113: E33-E35
- Complete atrioventricular block associated with takotsubo cardiomyopathy.Circ J Off J Jpn Circ Soc. Mar 2009; 73: 589-592
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy complicated by high-grade atrioventricular block: a report of two cases.Exp Clin Cardiol. 2009; 14: e35-e38
- An uncommon presentation of a rare disease — high-degree AV block with takotsubo cardiomyopathy.Indian Heart J. Sep 2012; 64: 511-514
- Conduction disturbances in takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a cause or a consequence?.Int J Cardiol. Aug 9 2012; 159: 61-62
- Complete heart block in takotsubo cardiomyopathy.Heart Lung J Crit Care. Feb 2013; 42: 48-50
- Midventricular ballooning Takotsubo cardiomyopathy complicated by transient complete atrioventricular block.Intern Med Tokyo Jpn. 2013; 52: 1919-1921
- A rare complication of takotsubo cardiomyopathy.Dtsch Med Wochenschr. Jan 2011; 136: 129-132
- Takotsubo syndrome with transient complete atrioventricular block.Chin Med J (Engl). Jan 5 2006; 119: 73-76
- A case of foxhole-shaped left ventricular abnormality induced by complete atrioventricular block with delayed recovery of wall motion.Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi Jpn J Geriatr. Sep 2004; 41: 546-551
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a novel “proarrhythmic” disease.Anadolu Kardiyol Derg AKD Anatol J Cardiol. Jul 2007; 7: 101-103
Published online: July 12, 2014
Accepted: July 5, 2014
Received: May 9, 2014
© 2014 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.