- •Ranolazine is a novel safe, well-tolerated anti-anginal drug.
- •Ranolazine has been approved as a second-line treatment for stable angina.
- •Primary MVA is characterized by high variability and low response to treatment.
- •Clinical and preclinical evidence suggests ranolazine usefulness in primary MVA.
- •Further trials are needed to investigate the efficacy of ranolazine in primary MVA.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2014 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2014; 129: e28-e292
- Coronary microvascular dysfunction is highly prevalent in women with chest pain in the absence of coronary artery disease: results from the NHLBI WISE study.Am. Heart J. 2001; 141: 735-741
- Women, cardiac syndrome X, and microvascular heart disease.Can. J. Cardiol. 2012; 28: S42-S49
- Primary coronary microvascular dysfunction: clinical presentation, pathophysiology, and management.Circulation. 2010; 121: 2317-2325
- Management of microvascular angina pectoris.Am. J. Cardiovasc. Drugs. 2014; 14: 31-40
- Ranexa (Ranolazine): EU Summary of Product Characteristics.(Available at:)http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/medicines/human/medicines/000805/human_med_001009.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058001d124Date: July 2014
- Hypoxia increases persistent sodium current in rat ventricular myocytes.J. Physiol. 1996; 497: 337-347
- Frequency-dependence of myocardial energetics in failing human myocardium as quantified by a new method for the measurement of oxygen consumption in muscle strip preparations.J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 1998; 30: 1459-1470
- Electrophysiological effects of ranolazine, a novel antianginal agent with antiarrhythmic properties.Circulation. 2004; 110: 904-910
- Ranolazine decreases diastolic calcium accumulation caused by ATX-II or ischemia in rat hearts.J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 2006; 41: 1031-1038
- A study of the effects of ranolazine using automated quantitative analysis of serial myocardial perfusion images.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2009; 2: 1301-1309
- Effects of ranolazine on left ventricular regional diastolic function in patients with ischemic heart disease.Cardiovasc. Drugs Ther. 1994; 8: 741-747
- Ranolazine recruits muscle microvasculature and enhances insulin action in rats.J. Physiol. 2013; 591: 5235-5249
- Evaluation of the glycometabolic effects of ranolazine in patients with and without diabetes mellitus in the MERLIN-TIMI 36 randomized controlled trial.Circulation. 2009; 119: 2032-2039
- Effects of ranolazine on exercise tolerance and HbA1c in patients with chronic angina and diabetes.Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 42-48
- Anolazine reduces Ca2+ overload and oxidative stress and improves mitochondrial integrity to protect against ischemia reperfusion injury in isolated hearts.Pharmacol. Res. 2011; 64: 381-392
- Effect of ranolazine on arterial endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 226: 157-160
- Ranolazine improves endothelial function in patients with stable coronary artery disease.Coron. Artery Dis. 2009; 20: 343-347
- Clinical pharmacokinetics of ranolazine.Clin. Pharmacokinet. 2006; 45: 469-491
- Effects of ranolazine with atenolol, amlodipine, or diltiazem on exercise tolerance and angina frequency in patients with severe chronic angina: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 291: 309-316
- Antianginal efficacy of ranolazine when added to treatment with amlodipine: the ERICA (Efficacy of Ranolazine in Chronic Angina) trial.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2006; 48: 566-575
- Anti-ischemic effects and long-term survival during ranolazine monotherapy in patients with chronic severe angina.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2004; 43: 1375-1382
- Long-term safety of a novel antianginal agent in patients with severe chronic stable angina: the Ranolazine Open Label Experience (ROLE).J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2007; 9: 1027-1034
- Effects of ranolazine on recurrent cardiovascular events in patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes: the MERLIN-TIMI 36 randomized trial.JAMA. 2007; 297: 1775-1783
- 2013 ESC guidelines on the management of stable coronary artery disease: the Task Force on the management of stable coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 2949-3003
- Effect of ranolazine, an antianginal agent with novel electrophysiological properties, on the incidence of arrhythmias in patients with non ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome: results from the Metabolic Efficiency With Ranolazine for Less Ischemia in Non ST-Elevation Acute Coronary Syndrome Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction 36 (MERLIN-TIMI 36) randomized controlled trial.Circulation. 2007; 116: 1647-1652
- Role of ranolazine in angina, heart failure, arrhythmias, and diabetes.Pharmacol. Ther. 2012; 133: 311-323
- Studies to investigate the pharmacokinetic interactions between ranolazine and ketoconazole, diltiazem, or simvastatin during combined administration in healthy subjects.J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2005; 45: 422-433
- FDA Approved Drug Products: Ranexa (Ranolazine), December 2013.(Available at:)http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.DrugDetailsDate: October 2014
- Comparative efficacy of ranolazine versus atenolol for chronic angina pectoris.Am. J. Cardiol. 2005; 95: 311-316
- Ranolazine refractory angina registry trial: 1-year results.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2011; 57: E1050
- Coronary microvascular dysfunction.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 356: 830-840
- Cardiac syndrome X: clinical characteristics and left ventricular function. Long-term follow-up study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1995; 25: 807-814
- Long-term prognosis of patients with cardiac syndrome X.Int. J. Cardiol. 2010; 140: 197-199
- Pathophysiological dilemma of syndrome X.Circulation. 1992; 85: 883-892
- Mechanisms of angina pectoris in syndrome X.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1991; 17: 499-506
- Insulin resistance in microvascular angina (syndrome X).Lancet. 1993; 342: 136-140
- Gender comparison of efficacy and safety of ranolazine for chronic angina pectoris in four randomized clinical trials.Am. J. Cardiol. 2007; 99: 11-18
- Ranolazine improves angina in women with evidence of myocardial ischemia but no obstructive coronary artery disease.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2011; 4: 514-522
- Development and evaluation of the Seattle Angina Questionnaire: a new functional status measure for coronary artery disease.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1995; 25: 333-341
- A brief self-administered questionnaire to determine functional capacity (the Duke Activity Status Index).Am. J. Cardiol. 1989; 64: 651-654
- Effects of ivabradine and ranolazine in patients with microvascular angina pectoris.Am. J. Cardiol. 2013; 112: 8-13
- EuroQol—a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life.Health Policy. 1990; 16: 199-208
- Effects of ranolazine on noninvasive coronary flow reserve in patients with myocardial ischemia but without obstructive coronary artery disease.Echocardiography. 2015; 32: 516-521
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Registered Trials.(Available at:)https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=microvascular+angina&recr=Open&rslt=&type=&cond=&intr=ranolazine&titles=&outc=&spons=&lead=&id=&state1=&cntry1=&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=Date: November 2014
☆All authors take responsibility for all aspects of the reliability and freedom from bias of the data presented and their discussed interpretation.