Although physicians recognize the importance of physical activity in the prevention and maintenance of chronic diseases [
], few incorporate physical activity counseling into routine clinic visits [
- Hebert E.T.
- Caughy M.O.
- Shuval K.
Primary care providers' perceptions of physical activity counselling in a clinical setting: a systematic review.
Br. J. Sports Med. 2012; 46: 625-631
]. One major barrier has been the paucity of means to objectively assess patient's long-term physical activity patterns [
- VanWormer J.J.
- Pronk N.P.
- Kroeninger G.J.
Clinical counseling for physical activity: translation of a systematic review into care recommendations.
Diabetes Spectr. 2009; 22: 48-55
]. We investigated if the Fitbit®, one of the most common wireless physical activity trackers in the consumer market, met reasonable validity and reliability standards such that they could be used by primary care physicians to monitor their patient's physical activity objectively between clinic visits.
- Vuori I.M.
- Lavie C.J.
- Blair S.N.
Physical activity promotion in the health care system.
Mayo Clin. Proc. 2013; 88: 1446-1461
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary care providers' perceptions of physical activity counselling in a clinical setting: a systematic review.Br. J. Sports Med. 2012; 46: 625-631
- Clinical counseling for physical activity: translation of a systematic review into care recommendations.Diabetes Spectr. 2009; 22: 48-55
- Physical activity promotion in the health care system.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2013; 88: 1446-1461
Published online: March 04, 2015
Accepted: March 2, 2015
Received: January 23, 2015
© 2015 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.