With great interest we read the recent European Society of Cardiology (ESC) guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure [
]. We are, however, concerned about the high number of conflicts of interest (COIs) of the authors (Table 1) and reviewers. Of the 21 authors only 2 (10%) indicated no COI in the years 2014–2015. Among the authors, the chairperson of the task force had the second most COIs (33) and the co-chairperson the fourth most COIs (21). Among the 87 reviewers only 18 (21%) were without COIs. Unfortunately, we cannot investigate if, compared with the 2012 guidelines, the amount of authors with COIs has increased, because according to the ESC Customer services, “The declarations of interest of the 2012 Guidelines on acute and chronic heart failure are not any longer available”.
- Ponikowski P.
- Voors A.A.
- Anker S.D.
- Bueno H.
- Cleland J.G.
- Coats A.J.
- Falk V.
- González-Juanatey J.R.
- Harjola V.P.
- Jankowska E.A.
- Jessup M.
- Linde C.
- Nihoyannopoulos P.
- Parissis J.T.
- Pieske B.
- Riley J.P.
- Rosano G.M.
- Ruilope L.M.
- Ruschitzka F.
- Rutten F.H.
- van der Meer P.
- Authors/Task Force Members
- Document Reviewers
2016 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC.
Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 891-975
Table 1Declarations of interest as reported to the ESC by the task force members, covering the period of the guidelines production.
|Autor||A—Direct personal payment||B—Payment to your institution||C—Receipt of royalties||D—Research funding (depart-mental)||E—Research funding (personal)||Number of relation-ships with industry|
|Van der Meer||6||0||0||1||0||7|
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- 2016 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 891-975
- Graham R. Mancher M. Miller Wolman D. Greenfield S. Steinberg E. Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust. National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2011
- Association of funding and conclusions in randomized drug trials: a reflection of treatment effect or adverse events?.JAMA. 2003; 290: 921-928
- The vexing problem of guidelines and conflict of interest: a potential solution.Ann. Intern. Med. 2010; 152: 738-741
Published online: November 09, 2016
Accepted: November 6, 2016
Received: August 13, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.