Coarctation of the aorta (CoA) is defined as a significant narrowing of the aortic isthmus, at the insertion of the arterial band. It accounts for 5-8 % of all congenital heart defects and is considered as a part of a generalized arteriopathy, associated with valvulopathy, vasculopathy and cerebrovascular disease [
- Baumgartner H.
- Bonhoeffer P.
- de Groot N.M.S.
- et al.
ESC Guidelines for the management of grown-up congenital heart disease (new version 2010).
Eur. Heart J. 2010; 31: 2915-2957
- Vriend J.W.J.
- Mulder B.J.M.
Late complications in patients after repair of aortic coarctation: implications for management.
Int. J. Cardiol. 2005; 101: 399-406
- Gardiner H.M.
- Celermajer D.S.
- Sorensen K.E.
- et al.
Arterial reactivity is significantly impaired in normotensive young adults after successful repair of aortic coarctation in childhood.
Circulation. 1994; 89: 1745-1750
- Luijendijk P.
- Lu H.
- Heynneman F.B.
- et al.
Increased carotid intima-media thickness predicts cardiovascular events in aortic coarctation.
Int. J. Cardiol. 2014; 176: 776-781
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ESC Guidelines for the management of grown-up congenital heart disease (new version 2010).Eur. Heart J. 2010; 31: 2915-2957
- Late complications in patients after repair of aortic coarctation: implications for management.Int. J. Cardiol. 2005; 101: 399-406
- Arterial reactivity is significantly impaired in normotensive young adults after successful repair of aortic coarctation in childhood.Circulation. 1994; 89: 1745-1750
- Increased carotid intima-media thickness predicts cardiovascular events in aortic coarctation.Int. J. Cardiol. 2014; 176: 776-781
- Coarctation Long-term Assessment (COALA): significance of arterial hypertension in a cohort of 404 patients up to 27 years after surgical repair of isolated coarctation of the aorta, even in the absence of restenosis and prosthetic material.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2007; 134: 738-745
- Coarctation of the aorta: lifelong surveillance is mandatory following surgical repair.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 62: 1020-1025
- Late outcomes in adults with coarctation of the aorta.Heart. 2015; 101: 1190-1195
- Hypertension in aortic coarctation.Minerva Cardioangiol. 2009; 57: 733-742
- Exercise capacity and exercise hypertension after surgical repair of isolated aortic coarctation.Am. J. Cardiol. 2008; 101: 1777-1780
- Survival and cardiovascular events after coarctation-repair in long-term follow-up (COAFU): Predictive value of clinical variables.Int. J. Cardiol. 2016; 228: 347-351
- Coarctation of the aorta. Long-term follow-up and prediction of outcome after surgical correction.Circulation. 1989; 80: 840-845
- 2013 Practice guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC): ESH/ESC Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension.J. Hypertens. 2013; 31: 1925-1938
- Normwerte des Blutdrucks bei der Fahrradergometrie.Dtsch. Z. Sportmed. 1984; 35: 243-249
- "Repaired" aortic coarctation in adults: not a "simple" congenital heart defect.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2000; 35: 1003-1006
- Long term results (15-30 years) of surgical repair of aortic coarctation.Br. Heart J. 1987; 57: 462-467
- Coarctation of the aorta: review of 362 operated patients. Long-term follow-up and assessment of prognostic variables.Eur. Heart J. 1987; 8: 670-679
- Prevalence of hypertension in children after early repair of coarctation of the aorta: a cohort study using casual and 24 hour blood pressure measurement.Heart. 2002; 88: 163-166
- Abnormal responses for blood pressure in children and adults with surgically corrected aortic coarctation.Cardiol. Young. 2000; 10: 353-357
- Exercise systolic blood pressures are of questionable value in the assessment of the adult with a previous coarctation repair.Heart. 2003; 89: 189-192
- Usefulness of exercise-induced hypertension as predictor of chronic hypertension in adults after operative therapy for aortic isthmic coarctation in childhood.Am. J. Cardiol. 2011; 108: 435-439
- Coarctation of the aorta in adults: do we need surgeons?.Heart. 2003; 89: 3-5
- Clinical significance of the bicuspid aortic valve.Heart. 2000; 83: 81-85
- Predictive value of mild, residual descending aortic narrowing for blood pressure and vascular damage in patients after repair of aortic coarctation.Eur. Heart J. 2005; 26: 84-90
Published online: May 24, 2017
Accepted: May 22, 2017
Received: January 13, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.