Atrial fibrillation occurs frequently after open-heart surgery. It is associated with increased morbidity and mortality, longer hospital stays, and increased healthcare costs. Prophylactic administration of colchicine may mitigate post-operative atrial fibrillation (POAF).
We searched PubMed, ClinicalTrials.gov and CENTRAL databases to identify randomized controlled trials (RCTs) that; (1) compared prophylactic use of colchicine to placebo, or usual care, in patients with sinus rhythm who underwent elective open-heart surgery and (2) reported POAF-incidence. We excluded trials focused on incidence of atrial fibrillation after percutaneous interventions or colchicine treatment of diagnosed pericarditis or post-pericardiotomy-syndrome. A random-effects model was used to pool data for POAF-incidence as the primary outcome and for drug-related adverse effects, major adverse events (death and stroke), and hospital length-of-stay as secondary outcomes.
We included five RCTs (1412 patients). Colchicine treatment reduced POAF-events by 30% versus placebo or usual care (18% vs. 27%, risk ratio (RR) 0.69, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.57 to 0.84, p = 0.0002). Adverse drug-related effects, especially gastrointestinal intolerance, increased with colchicine; (21% vs. 8.2%, RR 2.52, 95% CI 1.62 to 3.93, p < 0.0001). However, major adverse events were unchanged (3.2% vs. 3.2%, RR 0.96, 95% CI 0.48 to 1.95, p = 0.92). Length-of-stay decreased by 1.2 days with colchicine (95% CI -1.89 to −0.44, p = 0.002).
Colchicine demonstrated superior efficacy versus usual care for prevention of atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. Moreover, colchicine treatment was associated with shorter hospital stays. These benefits outweigh increased risk of adverse drug-related effects; although further work is needed to minimize gastrointestinal effects.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery.Ann. Intern. Med. 2001; 135: 1061-1073
- Rate control versus rhythm control for atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery.N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 374: 1911-1921
- Mechanisms, prevention, and treatment of atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2008; 51: 793-801
- Atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery: incidence, risk factors, and economic burden.J. Cardiothorac. Vasc. Anesth. 2010; 24: 952-958
- A multicenter risk index for atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery.JAMA. 2004 Apr 14; 291: 1720-1729
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation significantly increases mortality, hospital readmission, and hospital costs.Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2014; 98: 527-533
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation impacts on costs and one-year clinical outcomes: the Veterans Affairs Randomized On/Off Bypass Trial.Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2015; 99: 109-114
- Predictors of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery surgery. Current trends and impact on hospital resources.Circulation. 1996; 94: 390-397
- Atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery: where are we now?.Indian Pacing Electrophysiol. J. 2008; 8: 281-291
- 2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused updates incorporated into the ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines.Circulation. 2011; 15: e269-367
- Post-operative atrial fibrillation - pathophysiology, treatment and prevention.J. Atrial Fibrillation. 2013; 6: 136-145
- Effect of ColchiciNe on the InciDence of Atrial Fibrillation in open heart surgery patients: END-AF Trial.Am. Heart J. 2016; 178: 102-107
- 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 64: e1-76
- Colchicine for prevention of early atrial fibrillation recurrence after pulmonary vein isolation: a randomized controlled study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2012; 60: 1790-1796
- Colchicine in cardiovascular disease: an ancient drug with modern tricks.Heart. 2016; 102: 995-1002
- Colchicine in prevention of atrial fibrillation following cardiac surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.Indian J. Pharm. 2014; 46: 590-595
- Colchicine in cardiac disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.BMC Cardiovasc. Disord. 2015; 15: 96
- Effect of colchicine in prevention of pericardial effusion and atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis.Intern. Emerg. Med. 2016; 11: 867-876
- Colchicine for prevention and treatment of cardiac diseases: a meta-analysis.Cardiovasc. Ther. 2017; 35: 10-18
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2535
- Rationale and design of the COPPS trial: a randomised, placebo-controlled, multicentre study on the use of colchicine for the primary prevention of postpericardiotomy syndrome.J. Cardiovasc. Med. 2007; 8: 1044-1048
- Rationale and design of the Colchicine for Prevention of the Post-pericardiotomy Syndrome and Post-operative Atrial Fibrillation (COPPS-2 trial): a randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter study on the use of colchicine for the primary prevention of the postpericardiotomy syndrome, postoperative effusions, and postoperative atrial fibrillation.Am. Heart J. 2013; 166: 13-19
- Colchicine reduces postoperative atrial fibrillation: results of the Colchicine for the Prevention of the Postpericardiotomy Syndrome (COPPS) atrial fibrillation substudy.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2290-2295
- Colchicine for prevention of postpericardiotomy syndrome and postoperative atrial fibrillation: the COPPS-2 randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1016-1023
- Colchicine to reduce atrial fibrillation in the postoperative period of myocardial revascularization.Arq. Bras. Cardiol. 2016; 107: 4-9
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d5928
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews Of Interventions Version 5.1.0.Cochrane Collaboration, 2011
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control. Clin. Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stat. Med. 2002; 21: 1539-1558
- Low dose colchicine in prevention of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass graft: a double blind clinical trial.Tehran Univ. Med. J. 2014; 72: 147
- Colchicine for prevention of cardiovascular events.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. Jan 27 2016; (Cd011047)
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation in non-cardiac and cardiac surgery: an overview.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2015; 13: S304-12
- Management of postoperative atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery.Curr. Opin. Cardiol. 2016; 31: 183-190
- Rationale for systematic reviews.BMJ. 1994; 309: 597-599
- Whitlock RP.Interventions for preventing post-operative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing heart surgery.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003611
- Random-effects meta-analysis of inconsistent effects: a time for change.Ann. Intern. Med. 2014; 160: 267-270
- The Hartung-Knapp-Sidik-Jonkman method for random effects meta-analysis is straightforward and considerably outperforms the standard DerSimonian-Laird method.BMC Med. Res. Methodol. 2014; 14: 25
- Methods for Meta-analysis in Medical Research.Wiley, 2000 (ISBN: 978-0-471-49066-1)
- Usefulness of colchicine to reduce perioperative myocardial damage in patients who underwent on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting.Am. J. Cardiol. 2015; 115: 1376-1381
- Colchicine: new insights to an old drug.Am. J. Ther. 2015; 22: 151-157
- Fibroblast heterogeneity in collagenolytic response to colchicine.Biochem. Pharmacol. 2006; 71: 574-583
- Atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass grafting: does the type of procedure influence the early postoperative incidence?.Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg. 2001; 19: 455-459
- Plasma colchicine concentration in patients with recurrent polyserositis (familial Mediterranean fever) on long-term prophylaxis.Arthritis Rheum. 1982; 25: 227-231
- Impact of periprocedural colchicine on postprocedural management in patients undergoing a left atrial appendage ligation using LARIAT.Cardiovasc. Electrophysiol. 2016; 27: 60-64
- Colchicine for postoperative pericardial effusion: a multicentre, double-blind, randomised controlled trial.Heart. 2015; 101: 1711-1716
- Colchicine for prevention of atrial fibrillation recurrence after pulmonary vein isolation: mid-term efficacy and effect on quality of life.Heart Rhythm. 2014; 11: 620-628
- Correlation between left atrial epicardial adipose tissue volume and acute effects of colchicine treatment after atrial fibrillation ablation (Abstract 12945) Circulation.128. 2013 (A12945)
Published online: August 30, 2017
Accepted: August 14, 2017
Received in revised form: July 7, 2017
Received: April 20, 2017
☆These authors take responsibility for all aspects of the reliability and freedom from bias of the data presented and their discussed interpretation.
☆☆Registration: PROSPERO CRD42016046010 https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.asp?ID=CRD42016046010.
© 2017 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.