- •IL-1 bioactivity is regulated at several levels including by soluble receptors.
- •Levels of soluble regulators of IL-1 activity are changed in patients with STEMI.
- •Soluble IL-1 receptor 2 (sIL-1R2) remain elevated in the acute and chronic phase.
- •Levels of sIL-1R2 are strongly associated with development of LV remodelling.
- •sIL-1R2 levels associate with remodelling after adjustment for clinical covariates.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Cardiology
- The inflammatory response in myocardial injury, repair, and remodelling.Nat. Rev. Cardiol. 2014; 11: 255-265
- Inflammation as a driver of adverse left ventricular remodeling after acute myocardial infarction.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2050-2060
- Targeting interleukin-1 in heart disease.Circulation. 2013; 128: 1910-1923
- The effect of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist therapy on markers of inflammation in non-ST elevation acute coronary syndromes: the MRC-ILA heart study.Eur. Heart J. 2015; 36: 377-384
- Antiinflammatory therapy with Canakinumab for atherosclerotic disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 377: 1119-1131
- IL-1 pathways in inflammation and human diseases.Nat. Rev. Rheumatol. 2010; 6: 232-241
- Increased interleukin-1beta levels are associated with left ventricular hypertrophy and remodelling following acute ST segment elevation myocardial infarction treated by primary percutaneous coronary intervention.J. Intern. Med. 2012; 272: 267-276
- Early interleukin-1 receptor antagonist elevation in patients with acute myocardial infarction.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2004; 43: 35-38
- Proinflammatory cytokines in acute myocardial infarction with and without cardiogenic shock.Clin. Res. Cardiol. 2008; 97: 298-305
- Effect of ischemic postconditioning on infarct size in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction treated by primary PCI results of the POSTEMI (POstconditioning in ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction) randomized trial.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2014; 3e000679
- Rationale and design of the POSTEMI (postconditioning in ST-elevation myocardial infarction) study.Cardiology. 2010; 116: 103-109
- ESC guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation.Eur. Heart J. 2012; 33: 2569-2619
- Negative regulatory receptors of the IL-1 family.Semin. Immunol. 2013; 25: 408-415
- IL-1 receptor 2 (IL-1R2) and its role in immune regulation.Brain Behav. Immun. 2013; 32: 1-8
- Cytokine network in congestive heart failure secondary to ischemic or idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy.Am. J. Cardiol. 1999; 83: 376-382
- The pattern of interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) and its modulating agents IL-1 receptor antagonist and IL-1 soluble receptor type II in acute meningococcal infections.Blood. 1997; 90: 1101-1108
- Inflammatory markers in ST-elevation acute myocardial infarction.Eur. Heart J. Acute Cardiovasc. Care. 2016; 5: 382-395
- IL-1 beta scavenging by the type II IL-1 decoy receptor in human neutrophils.J. Immunol. 2003; 170: 5999-6005
- Neutrophils in the activation and regulation of innate and adaptive immunity.Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2011; 11: 519-531
- IL-1 receptor type 2 suppresses collagen-induced arthritis by inhibiting IL-1 signal on macrophages.J. Immunol. 2015; 194: 3156-3168
- Deficiency in IL-1 receptor type 2 aggravates K/BxN serum transfer-induced arthritis in mice but has no impact on systemic inflammatory responses.J. Immunol. 2017; 198: 2916-2926
- IL-1 induces proinflammatory leukocyte infiltration and regulates fibroblast phenotype in the infarcted myocardium.J. Immunol. 2013; 191: 4838-4848
- Anti-inflammatory strategies for ventricular remodeling following ST-segment elevation acute myocardial infarction.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 63: 1593-1603
- The soluble form of IL-1 receptor accessory protein enhances the ability of soluble type II IL-1 receptor to inhibit IL-1 action.Immunity. 2003; 18: 87-96
- Soluble type II interleukin 1 (IL-1) receptor binds and blocks processing of IL-1 beta precursor and loses affinity for IL-1 receptor antagonist.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1995; 92: 1714-1718
- IL-6 and IL-1 receptor antagonist in stable angina pectoris and relation of IL-6 to clinical findings in acute myocardial infarction.J. Intern. Med. 2000; 248: 61-66
- Prognostic impact of Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in patients with documented coronary artery disease.Int. J. Cardiol. 2018; 257: 24-29
☆This work was supported by grants from Helse Sør-Øst Regional Health Authority, Norway [grant number 2012037 to A.Y.]; Norwegian Research Council [grant number 240099/F20 to P.A.]; and the European Community's Seventh Framework Programme [grant number 602699 to T.E.M.]. The study was also supported by The Norwegian Council on Cardiovascular Disease, The Odd Fellow Foundation and The Simon Fougner Hartmann Family Fund. Funding sources had no involvement in study design, analysis/study design, or in writing of the manuscript. There are no conflicts of interest to declare.