- •Spectral detector CT is valuable tool in the diagnostic work-up of PH.
- •Spectral detector CT differentiates CTEPH from PH of other causes.
- •SDCT/DECT has the potential to make V/Q-Scintigraphy obsolete for diagnosis of CTEPH.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:PH (pulmonary hypertension), CTEPH (chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension), CT (computed tomography), SDCT (spectral detector computed tomography), V/Q (ventilation/perfusion), RHC (right heart catheterization), mPAP (main pulmonary artery pressure), CTPA (CT pulmonary angiography), DECT (dual energy CT), IDI (iodine density image), AA (ascending aorta), MPA/RPA/LPA (main/right/left pulmonary artery), RV/LV (right/left ventricle), cpc-PH (combined pre- and postcapillary PH)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2015 ESC/ERS guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension.Eur. Heart J. 2015; 37: 67-119
- Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 62: D34-D41
- Cologne consensus conference on pulmonary hypertension – update 2018.Int. J. Cardiol. 2018; 272: 1-3
- Surgical management and outcome of patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: results from an international prospective registry.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2011; 141: 702-710
- Balloon pulmonary angioplasty in patients with inoperable chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.Heart. 2013; 99: 1415-1420
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH): updated recommendations from the Cologne consensus conference 2018.Int. J. Cardiol. 2018; 272: 69-78
- Ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy is more sensitive than multidetector CTPA in detecting chronic thromboembolic pulmonary disease as a treatable cause of pulmonary hypertension.J. Nucl. Med. 2007; 48: 680-684
- Approach to pulmonary hypertension: from CT to clinical diagnosis.RadioGraphics. 2018; 1: 17
- Diagnosis of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.Nucl. Med. Commun. 2012; 33: 459-463
- Diagnostic accuracy of computed tomography for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0126985
- Dual-energy CT perfusion and angiography in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: diagnostic accuracy and concordance with radionuclide scintigraphy.Eur. Radiol. 2014; 24: 42-51
- Dual energy CT for the assessment of lung perfusion—correlation to scintigraphy.Eur. J. Radiol. 2008; 68: 369-374
- Lung perfused blood volume images with dual-energy computed tomography for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: correlation to scintigraphy with single-photon emission computed tomography.J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 2011; 35: 590-595
- Dual-energy CT (DECT) lung perfusion in pulmonary hypertension: concordance rate with V/Q scintigraphy in diagnosing chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH).Eur. Radiol. 2018; : 1-11
- Assessment of perfusion pattern and extent of perfusion defect on dual-energy CT angiography: correlations between the causes of pulmonary hypertension and vascular parameters.Korean J. Radiol. 2014; 15: 286-294
- Lung perfusion characteristics in pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) and peripheral forms of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (pCTEPH): dual-energy CT experience in 31 patients.Eur. Radiol. 2017; 27: 1631-1639
- Dual-energy CT to estimate clinical severity of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: comparison with invasive right heart catheterization.Eur. J. Radiol. 2016; 85: 1574-1580
- Energy-selective reconstructions in X-ray computerised tomography.Phys. Med. Biol. 1976; 21: 733-744
- Single- and dual-energy CT with monochromatic synchrotron x-rays.Phys. Med. Biol. 1997; 42: 371-387
- Image quality evaluation of dual-layer spectral detector CT of the chest and comparison with conventional CT imaging.Eur. J. Radiol. 2017; 93: 52-58
- Influence of spectral detector CT based monoenergetic images on the computer-aided detection of pulmonary artery embolism.Eur. J. Radiol. 2017; 95: 242-248
- Imaging of acute and chronic thromboembolic disease: state of the art.Clin. Radiol. 2017; 72: 375-388
- Analysis of perfusion defects by causes other than acute pulmonary thromboembolism on contrast-enhanced dual-energy CT in consecutive 537 patients.Eur. J. Radiol. 2012; 81: e647-e652
- Automated quantification of pulmonary perfused blood volume by dual-energy CTPA in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.RöFo. 2014; 186: 151-156
- Dual-energy CT angiography for assessment of regional pulmonary perfusion in patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: initial experience.Am. J. Roentgenol. 2011; 196: 524-532
- Image quality characteristics for virtual monoenergetic images using dual-layer spectral detector CT: comparison with conventional tube-voltage images.Phys. Med. 2018; 49: 5-10