- •Evidence regarding combination of antithrombotic agents in elderly patients with AF undergoing DES implantation is scarce.
- •Randomized trials focused on elderly patients are hardly foreseeable, so large registries are required to enhance knowledge.
- •This large multicenter registry provides valuable insights into the contemporary practice in this complex scenario.
- •Triple strategy dominates, but beyond 1 month or without Apixaban bleeding was increased without additional MACCE prevention.
- •Double therapy reduces risk of bleeding but with a trade-off in terms of ischemic cardiac events in a high-risk population.
Abbreviations and acronyms:AF (atrial fibrillation), DAT (dual antithrombotic therapy), DES (drug-eluting stents), DOAC (direct oral anticoagulants), MACCE (major adverse cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events), PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention), TAT (triple antithrombotic therapy), VKA (vitamin-K antagonists)
- Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation in the atrial fibrillation Clopidogrel trial with Irbesartan for prevention of vascular events (ACTIVE W): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1903-1912
- A randomized comparison of antiplatelet and anticoagulant therapy after the placement of coronary-artery stents.N. Engl. J. Med. 1996; 334: 1084-1089
- A clinical trial comparing three antithrombotic-drug regimens after coronary-artery stenting. Stent anticoagulation restenosis study investigators.N. Engl. J. Med. 1998; 339: 1665-1671
- Risk of bleeding in patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with different combinations of aspirin, clopidogrel, and vitamin K antagonists in Denmark: a retrospective analysis of nationwide registry data.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1967-1974
- Antithrombotic therapy after percutaneous revascularization in patients on chronic oral anticoagulation treatment.REC Interv. Cardiol. 2019; 1: 41-50
- Use of clopidogrel with or without aspirin in patients taking oral anticoagulant therapy and undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: an open-label, randomised, controlled trial.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1107-1115
- Duration of triple therapy in patients requiring Oral anticoagulation after drug-eluting stent implantation: the ISAR-TRIPLE trial.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015; 65: 1619-1629
- Prevention of bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing PCI.N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 375: 2423-2434
- Dual antithrombotic therapy with Dabigatran after PCI in atrial fibrillation.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 377: 1513-1524
- Antithrombotic therapy after acute coronary syndrome or PCI in atrial fibrillation.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 380: 1509-1524
- Edoxaban-based versus vitamin K antagonist-based antithrombotic regimen after successful coronary stenting in patients with atrial fibrillation (ENTRUST-AF PCI): a randomised, open-label, phase 3b trial.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1335-1343
- Worldwide epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: a global burden of disease 2010 study.Circulation. 2014; 129: 837-847
- The management of combined antithrombotic therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: a particularly complex challenge, especially in the elderly.Front. Physiol. 2018; 9: 876
- Subcommittee on control of anticoagulation of the scientific and standardization Committee of the International Society on thrombosis and Haemostasis. Definition of major bleeding in clinical investigations of antihemostatic medicinal products in non-surgical patients.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2005; 3: 692-694
- Efficacy and safety of dual antiplatelet therapy after complex PCI.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 68: 1851-1864
- 2020 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European Association of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS).Eur. Heart J. 2020; (Online ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa612
- Dual antiplatelet therapy after coronary stent implantation: individualizing the optimal duration.J. Cardiol. 2018; 72: 94-104
- Trade-off of myocardial infarction vs. bleeding types on mortality after acute coronary syndrome: lessons from the thrombin receptor antagonist for clinical event reduction in acute coronary syndrome (TRACER) randomized trial.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 38: 804-810
- 2020 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway for Anticoagulant and Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation or Venous Thromboembolism Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or With Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Solution Set Oversight Committee.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2020; (Online ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2020.09.011
- Management of Antithrombotic Therapy in atrial fibrillation patients undergoing PCI: JACC state-of-the-art review.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2019; 74: 83-99
- Is dual therapy the correct strategy in frail elderly patients with atrial fibrillation and acute coronary syndrome?.J. Geriatr. Cardiol. 2020; 17: 51-57
- 2018 ESC/EACTS Guidelines on myocardial revascularization.Eur. Heart J. 2019; 40: 87-165
- Safety and efficacy outcomes of double vs. triple antithrombotic therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation following percutaneous coronary intervention: a systematic review and meta-analysis of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulant-based randomized clinical trials.Eur. Heart J. 2019; 40: 3757-3767