- •This research analyse late gadolinium enhancement (LGE) entropy, a novel metric generated from cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) and can menifest tissue heterogeneity.
- •The variability and extent of LGE pictures can be reflected by LGE entropy, which is a reliable, usable, and repeatable metric for risk classification in HCM.
- •According to the results, LGE entropy is correlated with LGE mass%, indicating that it is a good indicator of LGE extent. The probability of heterogeneous distribution of fibrosis would grow as cardiac fibrosis progressed, increasing entropy.
- •This research proved that entropy can be utilized for risk stratification in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). And it is a prognostic indicator of endpoint events that is independent of other risk indicators.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Classification of the cardiomyopathies: a position statement from the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases.Eur. Heart J. 2008; 29: 270-276
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy from a to Z: genetics, pathophysiology, imaging, and management.Radiographics. 2016; 36: 335-354
- Validation of the new American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Guidelines for the risk stratification of sudden cardiac death in a large Mediterranean cohort with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.Hell. J. Cardiol. 2021; 63: 15-21
- Prediction of sudden death risk in obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: potential for refinement of current criteria.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2018; 156: 750-759 e753
- The amount of late gadolinium enhancement outperforms current guideline-recommended criteria in the identification of patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at risk of sudden cardiac death.J. Cardiovasc. Magn. Reson. 2019; 21
- Worldwide differences in primary prevention implantable cardioverter defibrillator utilization and outcomes in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.Eur. Heart J. 2021; 42: 3932-3944
- 2020 AHA/ACC guideline risk stratification for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Joint Committee on Clinical Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2020; 142: e558-e631
- Comparison of myocardial fibrosis quantification methods by cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging for risk stratification of patients with suspected myocarditis.J. Cardiovasc. Magn. Reson. 2019; 21: 14
- Myocardial tissue characterization and fibrosis by imaging.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2020; 13: 1221-1234
- Visual estimation of the extent of myocardial hyperenhancement on late gadolinium-enhanced CMR in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.Magn. Reson. Imaging. 2010; 28: 812-819
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: quantification of late gadolinium enhancement with contrast-enhanced cardiovascular MR imaging.[J].Radiology. 2011; 258: 128-133
- The nature of entropy and its role in biochemical processes.Adv. Enzymol. Relat. Subj. Biochem. 1951; 11: 1-32
- Functional MRI signal complexity analysis using sample entropy.Front. Neurosci. 2020; 14: 700
- Entropy as a novel measure of myocardial tissue heterogeneity for prediction of ventricular arrhythmias and mortality in post-infarct patients.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2019; 5: 480-489
- Association between reduced myocardial contraction fraction and cardiovascular disease outcomes: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Int. J. Cardiol. 2019; 293: 10-16
- Left ventricular global function index by magnetic resonance imaging--a novel marker for assessment of cardiac performance for the prediction of cardiovascular events: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Hypertension. 2013; 61: 770-778
- Left ventricular global function index by magnetic resonance imaging - a novel marker for differentiating cardiac amyloidosis from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.Sci. Rep. 2020; 10: 4707
- Left ventricular mass index is associated with cognitive function in middle-age: Bogalusa heart study.Circ Cardiovasc Imag. 2020; 13e010335
- Entropy-based analysis for diffusion anisotropy mapping of healthy and myelopathic spinal cord.Neuroimage. 2011; 54: 2125-2131
- Comparison of Bispectral index and entropy values with electroencephalogram during surgical anaesthesia with sevoflurane.Br. J. Anaesth. 2015; 115: 258-266
- Eigenrank by committee: Von-Neumann entropy based data subset selection and failure prediction for deep learning based medical image segmentation.Med. Image Anal. 2021; 67101834
- Nonlinear dynamical analysis of sleep electroencephalography using fractal and entropy approaches.Sleep Med. Rev. 2018; 37: 85-93
- Perturbation-driven entropy as a source of cancer cell heterogeneity.Trends Cancer. 2020; 6: 454-461
- Prognostic value of SPECT myocardial perfusion entropy in high-risk type 2 diabetic patients.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2021; 48: 1813-1821
- Diffusion imaging quality control via entropy of principal direction distribution.Neuroimage. 2013; 82: 1-12
- Assessment of myocardial fibrosis with T1 mapping MRI.Clin. Radiol. 2016; 71: 768-778
- Predicting ventricular tachyarrhythmia in patients with systolic heart failure based on texture features of the gray zone from contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging.J. Cardiol. 2020; 76: 601-609
- Mean entropy predicts implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy using cardiac magnetic resonance texture analysis of scar heterogeneity.Heart Rhythm. 2019; 16: 1242-1250
- Identification of myocardial disarray in?Patients with hypertrophic?Cardiomyopathy and ventricular arrhythmias.[J].J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2019; 73: 2493-2502
- Left ventricular entropy is a novel predictor of arrhythmic events in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy receiving defibrillators for primary prevention.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2019; 12: 1177-1184
- Histogram analysis of native T1 mapping and its relationship to left ventricular late gadolinium enhancement, hypertrophy, and segmental myocardial mechanics in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.J. Magn. Reson. Imaging. 2019; 49: 668-677
- Mean scar entropy by late gadolinium enhancement cardiac magnetic resonance is associated with ventricular arrhythmias events in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2021; 8758635
- Cardiac MRI left ventricular global function index and quantitative late gadolinium enhancement in unrecognized myocardial infarction.Eur. J. Radiol. 2017; 92: 11-16
- Myocardial contraction fraction: a volumetric index of myocardial shortening by freehand three-dimensional echocardiography.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2002; 40: 325-329