- •All-cause mortality was 9.5% over a median follow up of 4.9 years.
- •There was no overall difference in mortality by sex.
- •Mortality is highest in the non-ischaemic group in both sexes.
- •Men were more likely to have a non-ischaemic aetiology on CMR driven by a higher incidence of myocarditis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Heart and Circulatory Disease Statistics 2020. British Heart Foundation, 2020
- Systematic review of patients presenting with suspected myocardial infarction and nonobstructive coronary arteries.Circulation. 2015; 131: 861-870
- Fourth universal definition of myocardial infarction (2018).Eur. Heart J. 2019; 40: 237-269
- Prognostic role of CMR and conventional risk factors in myocardial infarction with nonobstructed coronary arteries.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2019; 12: 1973-1982
- Myocardial infarction with nonobstructed coronary arteries: impact of CMR early after presentation.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2017; 10: 1204-1206
- Heart disease and stroke statistics--2015 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 131: e29-322
- Sex differences in risk factors for myocardial infarction: cohort study of UK biobank participants.BMJ. 2018; 363k4247
- Prognosis in relation to high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T levels in patients with myocardial infarction and non-obstructive coronary arteries.Am. Heart J. 2018; 200: 60-66
- Characterization and outcomes of women and men with non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction and nonobstructive coronary artery disease: results from the can rapid risk stratification of unstable Angina patients suppress adverse outcomes with early.Am. Heart J. 2009; 158: 688-694
- Mortality of myocardial infarction by sex, age, and obstructive coronary artery disease status in the ACTION registry-GWTG (acute coronary treatment and intervention outcomes network registry-get with the guidelines).Circ. Cardiovasc. Qual. Outcomes. 2017; 10e003443
- Association of sex with Severity of coronary artery disease, Ischemia, and symptom burden in patients with moderate or severe Ischemia: secondary analysis of the ISCHEMIA randomized clinical trial.JAMA Cardiol. 2020;
- Systematic Review of Patients Presenting with Suspected Myocardial Infarction and Nonobstructive Coronary Arteries. 2015
- ESC working group position paper on myocardial infarction with non-obstructive coronary arteries.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 38: 143-153
- Third universal definition of myocardial infarction.Eur. Heart J. 2012; 33: 2551-2567
- 2015 ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation: task force for the Management of Acute Coronary Syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur. Heart J. 2016; 37: 267-315
- Peak troponin and CMR to guide management in suspected ACS and nonobstructive coronary arteries.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2022;
- MRI in the assessment of ischaemic heart disease.Heart. 2016; 102: 239-252
- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance in nonischemic myocardial inflammation: expert recommendations.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018; 72: 3158-3176
- International expert consensus document on Takotsubo syndrome (Part I): Clinical characteristics, diagnostic criteria, and pathophysiology.Eur. Heart J. 2018;
- Cardiac MR with late gadolinium enhancement in acute myocarditis with preserved systolic function: ITAMY study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2017; 70: 1977-1987
- Women's participation in cardiovascular clinical trials from 2010 to 2017.Circulation. 2020; 141: 540-548
- Myocarditis or "true" infarction by cardiac magnetic resonance in patients with a clinical diagnosis of myocardial infarction without obstructive coronary disease: a meta-analysis of individual patient data.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 241: 87-91
- Sex-based differences in characteristics and in-hospital outcomes among patients with diagnosed acute myocarditis.Am. J. Cardiol. 2020; 125: 1694-1699
- Peak troponin and CMR to guide Management in Suspected ACS and nonobstructive coronary arteries.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2022; 15: 1578-1587
- Acute myocardial infarction in women: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2016; 133: 916-947
- Patients with acute myocardial infarction and non-obstructive coronary arteries: safety and prognostic relevance of invasive coronary provocative tests.Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 91-98
- Race-ethnic and sex differences in left ventricular structure and function: the coronary artery risk development in young adults (CARDIA) study.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e001264
- CMR reference values for left ventricular volumes, mass, and ejection fraction using computer-aided analysis: the Framingham heart study.J. Magn. Reson. Imaging. 2014; 39: 895-900
- Outcome after myocardial infarction without obstructive coronary artery disease.Heart. 2019; 105: 524-530
- Clinical features and outcomes of Takotsubo (stress) cardiomyopathy.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 929-938
- Predictors of mortality in myocardial infarction and nonobstructed coronary arteries: a systematic review and meta-regression.Am. J. Med. 2020; 133: 73-83 e4
- Predictors of adverse outcome in patients with myocardial infarction with non-obstructive coronary artery (MINOCA) disease.Int. J. Cardiol. 2018; 261: 18-23
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
☆All authors takes responsibility for all aspects of the reliability and freedom from bias of the data presented and their discussed interpretation.