- •In spontaneous coronary artery dissection (SCAD), patients presenting with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) showed a worse angiographic profile (with worse initial distal flow and more severe and longer lesions) compared to NSTEMI.
- •SCAD STEMI patients were more frequently treated with percutaneous coronary intervention and had larger infarcts with more left ventricular systolic dysfunction.
- •In-hospital reinfarction and cardiogenic shock were more frequently seen in the STEMI SCAD group.
- •Long-term prognosis after SCAD did not differ between STEMI and NSTEMI SCAD patients.
Abbreviations:ACS (acute coronary syndrome), DAPT (dual antiplatelet therapy), EVA (extra-coronary vascular abnormalities), IMH (intramural haematoma), MACCE (major adverse cardiovascular and cerebrovascular event), MAE (major adverse event), NSTEMI (non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction), PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention), SCAD (spontaneous coronary artery dissection), SR-SCAD (Spanish Registry on SCAD), STEMI (ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction), TIMI (Thrombolysis in Myocardial infarction)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection: Current State of the Science: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association.137. 2018https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000564
- European Society of Cardiology, acute cardiovascular care association, SCAD study group: a position paper on spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Eur. Heart J. 2018; : 3353-3368https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehy080
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection: mechanisms, diagnosis and management.Eur Cardiol. 2020; : 15https://doi.org/10.15420/ECR.2019.01
- National French Registry of spontaneous coronary artery dissections: prevalence of fibromuscular dysplasia and genetic analyses.EuroIntervention. 2020; https://doi.org/10.4244/EIJ-D-20-01046
- Canadian spontaneous coronary artery dissection cohort study: in-hospital and 30-day outcomes.Eur. Heart J. January 2019; https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehz007
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection in Spain: clinical and angiographic characteristics, management, and in-hospital events.Rev Española Cardiol. 2021; 74: 15-23https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rec.2020.04.002
- Differences in short- and long-term outcomes among older patients with ST-elevation versus non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction with angiographically proven coronary artery disease.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016; 9: 513-522https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.115.002312
- Long-term mortality of patients undergoing cardiac catheterization for ST-elevation and nonst-elevation myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2009; 119: 3110-3117https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.799981
- Difference in the in-hospital prognosis between ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction and non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction with high Killip class: data from the Japan Acute Myocardial Infarction Registry.Eur Hear J. Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2020; 10: 503-512https://doi.org/10.1177/2048872620926681
- One-year outcome after percutaneous coronary intervention for acute coronary syndrome — an analysis of 20,042 patients from a Japanese nationwide registry.Circ. J. 2021; 85: 1756-1767https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.CJ-21-0098
- Clinical outcomes in spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Heart. April 2022; (heartjnl-2022-320830)https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2022-320830
- Coronary angiogram classification of spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Catheter. Cardiovasc. Interv. 2014; 84: 1115-1122https://doi.org/10.1002/ccd.25293
- Coronary artery tortuosity in spontaneous coronary artery dissection angiographic characteristics and clinical implications.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2014; 7: 656-662https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.114.001676
- Prevalence of Extracoronary vascular abnormalities and fibromuscular dysplasia in patients with spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Am. J. Cardiol. 2015; 115: 1672-1677https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2015.03.011
- Canadian spontaneous coronary artery dissection cohort study: in-hospital and 30-day outcomes.Eur. Heart J. 2019; 40https://doi.org/10.1093/EURHEARTJ/EHZ007
- Clinical features, management, and prognosis of spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Circulation. 2012; 126: 579-588https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.105718
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection: revascularization versus conservative therapy.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2014; 7: 777-786https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.114.001659
- Third universal definition of myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2020-2035https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e31826e1058
- Standardized end point definitions for coronary intervention trials.Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 2192-2207https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehy223
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection and menopause.Am. J. Cardiol. 2021; 148: 53-59https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2021.02.007
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection associated with pregnancy.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2017; 70: 426-435https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.05.055
- Chronic infarct size after spontaneous coronary artery dissection: implications for pathophysiology and clinical management.Eur. Heart J. 2020; 41: 2197-2205https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehz895
- Antiplatelet therapy in patients with conservatively managed spontaneous coronary artery dissection from the multicentre DISCO registry.Eur. Heart J. 2021; 42: 3161-3171https://doi.org/10.1093/EURHEARTJ/EHAB372
- Rationale and design of the BA-SCAD (Beta-blockers and Antiplatelet agents in patients with Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection) randomized clinical trial.Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). September 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/J.REC.2021.08.003
- Trends in presenting characteristics and hospital mortality among patients with ST elevation and non-ST elevation myocardial infarction in the National Registry of myocardial infarction from 1990 to 2006.Am. Heart J. 2008; 156: 1026-1034https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2008.07.030
- Association between time of hospitalization with acutemyocardial infarction and in-hospital mortality.Eur. Heart J. 2019; 40: 1214-1221https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehy835
- Risks and benefits of percutaneous coronary intervention in spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Heart. 2021; 107: 1398-1406https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2020-318914
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection in Spain: a study using the minimum data set of the Spanish National Health System.Rev Española Cardiol. June 2022; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rec.2022.04.017